Recap volume 2
OK y'all, I hear ya. I'm going to try to start posting smaller bits more frequently. I have a tendency to sit down and spend an hour+ assembling pictures and putting a post together, which is why I don't do it often. My time management skills leave a lot to be desired, a comment that accompanied every report card from K - 12. But I'm turning over a new leaf. No more slackin'! Right.
I do believe we last left you with a partially finished bathroom. We are still allllllmost done. Actually, the only thing we have to do is stain the molding around the closet. That, and fix the hole in the floor that gives you a clear view into the basement. I have a feeling that will be one of those things that is still on the "to do" list in 5 years. The hole came about when we found out that we had to move the tub drain after Chuck had laboriously laid the tile floor. He was none too happy, but it was either cut a hole and move the drain or sit on the toilet with your legs slung over the tub. As the more frequent sitter of the family, this was not an option.
We FINALLY did get hot water about 2 weeks into moving in. And a week later, we got our first water bill from the City of Atlanta for $3895.82. Sigh. We're still battling with them about this.
Chuck installed our clawfoot shower attachment, an oil rubbed bronze splurge from Home D.
We ran into a predicament during installation. The ceiling support that came with it was about 11" shy of making it all the way up to the ceiling. Of course they sell one that's 2' longer for the bargain price of $75.00. We had known this might be the case and had been deliberating about what to do for a while. Ultimately, we decided that instead of paying $6.81/inch of oil rubbed bronze metal, we could make something work. I found a dowel rod, Chuck got the hammer spray and voila. Ya can't even tell the difference.
Initially we thought we were going to have to reglaze our tub, and were going to try to do it ourselves, which could have been potentially disastrous. As a last ditch effort, Chuck took to it with a lethal combination of CLR & Barkeeper's friend, and we couldn't believe how great it worked! Like brand new.
I had my eye on register covers from Restoration Hardware. What didn't register when I decided on them is they cost upwards of $35.00. Yow. Chuck found this white one at Home D for under $10. A little hammer spray...
We decided to stain the cabinet after all of the hard stripping work, and I'm delighted with how it turned out. Very rustic.
And as a finishing touch, I sewed a sheer with women's sportswear fabric from Hancock Fabric. $2/yd. Ikea can't even beat that price for sheers.
As soon as we stain the closet molding, I will take pictures of the completed project, and post some before and afters. And as I'm thinking about it, we actually have done quite a bit that I haven't posted about, so i will get on it!!!