Friday, September 07, 2007

"Thatsa Big Closet!"



And indeed it is a big closet. As exclaimed repeatedly by Joseph and Chuck. It's exactly what I pictured. However, it's caused some household debate. Chuck thinks that having a 10' high by 11' wide bedroom wall made of closet is going to overpower the room. I tried to explain to him that that is ridiculous, and only a woman could understand the importance of a closet this big. We don't have any place to make a walk-in closet, so this was the best we could do to create a proper master suite closet.

I created this to try to convince him:



We already agreed that we would make some custom doors out of 1 x 6 lumber stained dark, with some sort of opaque material in the middle, that I haven't found yet (represented by the white). If we disagree on something, usually Chuck lets me have the final say, and ultimately likes the end result. But he's been pretty vocal about his reticence to proceed in this direction, so I've relented to a compromise.

Here is what we came up with:



We're going to bring the closet doors down to about 7' and create cubbies above for seasonal storage. This does away with the library ladder, but I'm not sure that would have worked anyways, because of the depth of the closet and where the door runners would be. The blue is supposed to be painted wall, but I couldn't find the actual blue that we're going to use, so ignore the purple-y blue. We decided that the cubby doors will probably echo the closet doors, with the translucent material in the middle.

The doorway on the right leads to the bathroom, and we've left some space at the top to install a transom window. Chuck is very excited about the transom. We're going to have to re-frame the closet this weekend, and we'll bring the doorway down to match up with the cubbies. Ultimately, I think it was a reasonable compromise, as I haven't been able to come up with how the high up shelving will work. The pictures of well-organized closets that I based this on, have color coordinated linens that look lovely placed in neat stacks. That is not the reality of our linen situation. It probably would have just been a big old mess. So I feel good about the decision to change it. We're going to start looking for closet innards this weekend. So excited!!

3 Comments:

At 6:31 AM, Blogger freakgirl said...

I love the idea of the drawers/cubbies up top for seasonal storage. And seriously, closets can NEVER be big enough.

The closet in the master bedroom here is ugh. It's the length of the sitting room, wall to wall and ceiling to floor, and the doors are MIRRORS. I can't tell you how wonderful and thrilling it is to have such a great view of my fat ass on the treadmill each morning.

 
At 4:05 PM, Blogger Michael said...

I LOVE transoms. I have a few here and they're what I'll miss most about this house.

Great compromise, methinks.

 
At 12:08 PM, Blogger Maggie said...

I didn't know you guys had picked up on the work again. I can't believe how much you've done. I am so impressed. And you guys are so lucky you found Joseph!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home